Celebrating 120 years of Pluscarden Church

///Celebrating 120 years of Pluscarden Church

Celebrating 120 years of Pluscarden Church

On 12th May 1898, the foundation stone of Pluscarden Church was laid. Many friends and well-wishers joined the congregation for the ceremony. The Rev Robert Gordon, minister of the church which had until then been worshipping in the Priory nearby, expressed the congregation’s gratitude for support and help received. Included in the support was the courtesy and kindness from the Earl of Fife and the Marquis of Bute.
The Earl of Fife had sold the estate to the Marquis of Bute who, being a catholic, wanted to restore the Priory to its former use and thus gave notice to the church congregation to vacate the premises. Generously, he granted them a site for a new church on “Drinking Hill” together with a donation of £100 towards the new building.
This weekend, the congregation, friends and well-wishers, have the opportunity to revisit that momentous occasion and the following 120 years as they step inside the church and ‘Step into the Past’ by following the trail throughout the building.
The normal Communion Service will be conducted by Rev Stuart Duff minister of Birnie & Pluscarden linked with Elgin High Church at 11am on the Sunday; this will be followed by the dedication of a new bench, a light lunch and afternoon tea.
The church is open from 2 – 4pm on Saturday 12th May and Sunday 13th May when afternoon teas and home-bakes will be served in the session room. .

2018-05-11T08:38:58+00:00